In 1952, the Department of Pharmacology was firstly established in medical school of MUI, now it is located in the pharmacy school. More than 50 courses are offered in the department of pharmacology and toxicology for the numerous majors all over the University of Medical Sciences. Besides, educating pharmacology Ph.D. students began in 1984. For fulfilling the Ph.D. courses in this department, students are required to pass about 20 theoretical-practical core credits and 16 noncore credits and about 20 credits during conducting dissertation. Ph.D. students must need to active participation in research projects. Graduates will have main role in the educational and research centers, industries and related organizations.
Pharmacology and Toxicology are integrative and interdisciplinary sciences that investigate the actions of natural and/or synthetic chemical agents on the living systems (animal & cell lines) for the development of new drugs. Any endogenous molecules such as hormones or neurotransmitters, materials in the environment, as well as synthetic and naturally derived compounds, are subjected to test for pharmacological and toxicological effects. We, in the Department, welcome young talented students to join us and study in various aspects of the science of Toxicology and Pharmacology. The main focus of this Department is research and education. The academic members of this department put a high priority on teaching and research training of students at M.Sc., Pharm.D., Ph.D., and postdoc levels.
Some undergoing activities in pharmacology department have been summarized as
• Providing advanced as well as basic educational training in toxicology and pharmacology;
• Developing various models in pharmacology research;
• Directing and carrying out basic and applied research in various branches of toxicology;
• Providing facilities and a suitable environment to attract young and talented researchers to basic and applied research projects in Toxicology and Pharmacology;
• Providing opportunities for talented students to participate in graduate and postgraduate educational programs in the field of Toxicology and Pharmacology;
• Encouraging the partnership of home and international students in the department's research interests;
The objective of pharmacology and toxicology department is to elevate the academic position of MUI both nationally and internationally, in terms of basic, clinical and practical area in pharmacological sciences.
Pharmacology laboratory, toxicology laboratory, cell culture laboratory, behavioral pharmacology laboratory, organ bath laboratory, cardiovascular laboratory