Enormous advances in molecular biology and genetics in the past few decades have offered unprecedented opportunities to better understand principles of biology and apply this knowledge in medicine and biomedical industry. Being one of the basic science departments at the IUMS, the department of Medical Genetics and Molecular Biology (MGMB) has been constantly the forefront of biomedical research and has contributed to many national and international collaborative projects. Excellent faculty and students at the department of MGMB deliver high standards of research and training by linking cutting edge research to clinical care.
Our main goal is to create a motivating environment where next generation scientists with world-class qualities are trained whose main task is to make improvements in human health. Having strong background in various fields of biology and medicine, our faculty provide research mentorship and classroom training in medical genetics, molecular biology, biotechnology, regenerative medicine and related disciplines.
The department began in 1987 as a group of faculty at the Medical School to offer basic science courses to medical students. Later in 1995, the department of MGMB officially was established by Prof. Rasoul Salehi as its founding director. Currently, MGMB program has 10 faculty members who are actively engaged in research, clinical and training services.
MGMB research has been focused to answer fundamental questions about human health through developing specific platforms and translate the data in the context of clinical care. Our faculty have initiated long lasting collaborations with clinicians in order to study the biological mechanisms of a wide range of human diseases, from inherited disorders to complex diseases and cancer. MGMB faculty and students are currently involved in various projects including:
- Finding novel genes and mutations responsible for inherited disorders with an emphasis on the Iranian population
- Studying the genetics of complex traits such as diabetes, obesity and inflammatory bowel disease
- Investigating the molecular pathways underpinning diabetic nephropathy via developing the appropriate animal models
- Designing local and national programs to screen for hereditary cancer genes and offer genetic and treatment counseling to the families with the risk mutations
- Using big data to implement new approaches in the clinic for better diagnosis and efficient treatment of cancer patients in the context of personalized medicine
- Researching the genetic basis of immunogenetic disorders in particular primary immune-deficiencies
- Developing nation-wide protocols to aid geneticists and clinicians in counseling to the families with inherited diseases
- Implementing the state-of-art bioinformatics tools to analyze and interpret next generation sequencing (NGS) data for research and medical purposes
The department of MGMB offers two master’s level programs and two doctoral programs:
- Master of Science (MS) in Medical Genetics is a research oriented program that intends to prepare the student to work in a lab and participate in genetic counseling services.
- Master of Science (MS) in Medical Biotechnology is a research oriented program that trains students to use living biological organisms for the efficient manufacture and processing of useful medical products.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Medical Genetics is a research and clinically oriented degree that provides the students with in-depth knowledge of medical genetics through extensive training courses as well as hands-on lab instructions in order to prepare graduates for academia and clinical lab directorship.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Medical Genetics is a research based program that allows students to earn knowledge and skills on a broad spectrum of fields including chemistry, biology, physics, bioinformatics and medicine to unravel fundamental issues related to the human health.